Thursday, August 13, 2009

Those Crazy West Yellowstone Nights


West Yellowstone isn't exactly New York City in terms of nightlife, but we've been managing to keep ourselves amused out here. Over the last week we've had several late night excursions that have proven you can have fun once the sun goes down, despite being out in the middle of nowhere.

Last Thursday the Jamaican workers invited us to a Jamaican Independence Day party. We went to Kim's apartment for awhile and then to Wild West Pizza and Bar. We played some pool and the girls took lots of pictures. They also convinced me that as a skinny white boy from Nebraska with no rhythm, I was never destined to be a dancer.

On Saturday, Nate and I went over to Island Park to meet Hailey Jo who was there camping with her family. We spent a few hours there in the afternoon which included skipping stones on the lake (which I'm horrible at) and then Hailey making us bagel sandwiches (thanks Hailey). Well, we decided those few hours weren't enough so after I got off work at 9 I drove back to Island Park, picked up Hailey, and then brought her back to KOA. She got to meet a lot of my co-workers and got to see how quaint little cabin.

THEN we drove into the park in the middle of the night to see Old Faithful erupt in the dark. It's something I've wanted to do all summer and haven't made time to do yet. Well I can check that off my to-do list. We got out to the boardwalks that wrap around the geyser just after midnight. It was pretty much perfect timing because Old Faithful began erupting at 12:15 and surprisingly we could see it pretty well thanks to the stars and moon. We also had flashlights and I wore my headlight...so I looked extra cool. It was a good time and fortunately we didn't hit a bison in the dark.

Sunday night the KOA employees got together for ED-fest...named after Ed, the head of maintenance here. We pretty much just sat around a fire out in the woods, ate some food, and I played with a Siberian Husky that was there. Sweet life, I know.

Monday night involved Jacob and I having dinner at the patio BBQ here and then going to town to see Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. I had already seen it, but the tickets were free so I couldn't pass that up. Afterward, we went and chilled with Kim for awhile.

Tonight is my last night in West Yellowstone so I better make it a good one...so far I've cleaned my cabin and played an online game with Tim. I definitely know how to have a good time. But heck, the night is still young, who knows what kind of mischief I'll get into...

1 comment: