Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bears are the Scariest Creatures on Earth

As promised, this entry is all about bears....I know you're all excited. Well good, I'm glad someone is excited because I'm peeing my pants right now.

Our campsight is located in the heart of grizzly bear country. There are between 400 and 600 grizzly bears in the Yellowstone region which means odds are that I will probably be dead by the end of the summer.

One of my supervisors told me the other day that bears have 100 times better senses of smell than bloodhounds! She also informed me that there have been bear attacks in our campsite and that bears are often attracted to our dumpsters located on site. Well great.

I also did some reading in one of my coworker's hiking book and found out that 68% of bear attacks are surprise attacks...which means you're walking along singing zippiddy-do-da when a bear paw smashes you on the side of the face.

When you encounter a bear you really have three options (running is absolutely the last thing you are supposed to do): A- stand there and try to appear big...unfortunately I'm a pretty skinny guy. B- use a high powered pepper spray called Bear Spray to deter the bear by spraying the chemical in its face. The only problem with this option is that the bear spray cost $40...I'm not going to pay that much for something that "might" save my life. C- the last option is to lie on the ground face down and "play dead"...um hello, that sounds like giving up to me. I might as well just throw myself in front of the bear and say "chow down!" That's not an option for me...actually neither are the other two. So, in summary, I'm screwed.

What makes matters worse is that two nights ago a camper was attacked by a grizzly bear less than five miles away from where we are staying...FIVE MILES! Bears can run 30 miles per hour which means that bear could get to the front door of my cabin in about ten minutes.

As a result, I am afraid of the dark in Montana. Last night I stayed up too late working on the computer and had to walk across the campsite in the dark to get to my cabin. I was SO freakin' scared! Now, I'm making the same mistake....as I speak it's getting darker and darker. I really don't know what I'm going to do if I encounter a bear on my way back to the cabin. This could be my last post. If none of you here from me in a few days start sending my family sympathy cards because I'm a goner.

Oh, and to answer your question Carly...yes there is free camping for employee's guests; however, the free camping is located at the campsite where the man was savagely ripped apart by the bear the other night...so good luck with that one.

7 comments:

  1. Carson, if its a black bear the playing dead part won't work, you're going to have to beath the crap out of him. And its a good idea to not going wondering about camp at night... don't do that again ok. oh, and I'm a little upset that you visited Idaho and didn't give me a call. I don't care how far into it you were. I'll talk to you soon, much loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am afraid for you Carson. If I had money I would buy you Bear Spray! Also some depends or pull-ups if they come in your size, because you obviously have some bladder control issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you were a half bear half man combo... I bet no bears would attack you. You should get on that lil project oK? :)

    O! another idea for you... ask your mom to send you "Lil Bad Ass" in the mail! Then you could ride him around and then you would be able to move a little faster... OR sacrafice lil bad ass if need be. OH, there's a good idea... just carry some meat around with you! Then you can throw that at the bear and run away....... hmm... maybe don't listen to that suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Carson ~
    This blog is awesome!! I still fill sick but well enough to sit here and LOL!!! :) I really enjoy grandma and grandpa's advice to you - I'm surprised grandpa didn't send you off with some cherries! I'm so glad that you found a bouncy ball - that places never stops giving Russ!! I'm glad you are getting situated - but I just watched Oprah today about sexual predators so I am a little concerned about you having lunch with the DCE - very nice gesture of him - but watch your back the entire time!!! Also, what are you doing stopping at rest areas on the way there!!! Didn't you learn anything about all of our pickle patch talks!!! LOL (This time I mean lots of love), Cameo

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahahaha. I love that Cameo just warned you about sexual predators...

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) In case you eventually die of a bear attack, please know that I love you. Or if you become mentally unstable because of a sexual assault, please remember that once I was your friend and would never molest you.

    ReplyDelete