Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My First Few Days

So...I've been here a few days and have failed to blog about what exactly I've been doing with my time here, so here it goes...sorry it's so long.

MONDAY: I got the day off on Monday which was nice because it gave me a chance to unpack and get situated. I'm staying in a cabin with two other guys, Jacob and Christian or "Tian" as we call him. They went to school together up in Minnesota and share a room here so I have a room to myself. Our cabin is pretty tiny, but comfortable enough. By Monday afternoon I had my clothes put away, my Office calendar hanging up, and my Bart Simpson doll on my shelf...it felt like home. It's crazy how I've only been here a few days, but my cabin already seems like a home. I'm relieved to go back to my cabin and relax every evening. I got caught up on journaling Monday afternoon and made a trip into West Yellowstone with a few of my coworkers. I ate supper at the cafe here at the campsite...all of our meals are half off so it's a good deal. Plus, Ruby the cook has really pretty eyes. I hope she doesn't read this blog.

Oh yeah, WORST PART OF MY DAY: My hatred for birds was reinforced when I was once again ATTACKED by a bird. This time it was a black bird with yellow eyes. I was walking down one of the roads in the campsite and this bird just started diving at me. I noticed it had been making quite a bit of noise, but didn't think much of it...when he started coming at me I thought "ah hell nah!" What made matters worse was that a SUV with a family inside was driving past as it happened and just laughed at me...jerks.

TUESDAY: Today was my first day of work. I cleaned all day. Apparently everybody starts out cleaning before being trained for other stuff...it wasn't bad though. Lindsay is the cleaning shift manager...she is really friendly and looks just like Amy Poehler! One of the other new girls who was working with me is a girl named Natalia from Europe...she knows hardly any English. I feel really bad for her...she just cried her first day here. I also felt bad for her because I think I gave her whiplash while reversing the golf cart we were riding in this morning...I taught her how to say "hold on!" She'll be ready for my driving tomorrow. This afternoon a girl from Jamaica worked with us...her name is Katanya and she LOVES to sing. Most of the time I can't understand what she's singing, but one time I recognized the melody of a Whitney Houston song...sweet. I also was excited when she started singing "Jesus, You Are My All in All." I actually knew that song so I sang a few verses with her...she has a much better voice than me. I think we are going to be church buddies this summer.

Also, this afternoon I went swimming at the indoor pool/spa we have here at camp. It felt so good. I had fun talking with some of the campers here. For example, I met one gentleman who is bicycling all the way across the country. He's ridden 1500 miles so far; biking about 30 miles a day. He expects the entire trip, from California to Main, to take around three months. He's doing it to raise money to help find a cure for cancer. He was a pretty cool old dude. I also saw an older couple who were there watching their grandkids swim. It made me kind of sad because it reminded me of when my grandparents used to take Carly and I on trips. Those trips were always so fun; we had such a great time together...I wish I could go back to that time and place and savor every moment of it.

WEDNESDAY: Today I got trained to do office work. It was a lot to take in, but I'm sure I will get it all down soon enough. I hope I get to start working in the office full time soon, but cleaning is nice because it's less stressful and you don't have to deal with any customers.

This afternoon, after getting off work, I went for a little drive. I drove about six miles west of the KOA and crossed into Idaho. It was my first time ever being there so I took a picture. I then drove six miles east of the park into the town of West Yellowstone. I took some time to explore the little tourist town. I visited the chamber of commerce, the post office, the IMAX theater, the regular movie theater, several gift shops, the grocery stores, two churches, and then ate supper at Arby's. It's crazy how expensive this McDonalds is...Arby's is actually cheaper here...I guess I'm going to be eating a lot of curly fries this summer. It seems like a really nice little town. I'm excited because I think I found a church to attend this summer in town...the DCE offerred to take me out to lunch this Sunday after church...I think I might accept the offer. I'm pretty sure that Carly and I stayed in West Yellowstone when we came to Yellowstone back when we were little...the town looked very familiar....crazy that all these years later I would be back here.

Also, I'm finding things I can do to keep entertained on my time off: first of all, I can explore the park...there's tons to do there. Also, there is a rodeo just across the highway from our campsite. They have rodeos three nights a week...I'm going to have to break out the Wranglers and cowboy hat! Also, there is a playhouse in town that is having performances of Footloose, Guys and Dolls, and the Secret Garden...I'll probably go to a couple of those performances.

Anyways, I'm definitely getting used to the area and am looking forward to a fun and eventful summer. Be sure to check back tomorrow for my newest post where my topic will be BEARS...

4 comments:

  1. At first, I thought you were going to say that you gave her whiplash because she turned her head so fast to look at you because you are such a hottie. I thought, well, that is a little vain.... but then I read on and found out the true story. lol :) speaking of bears. I'm glad to see that you are a live and didn't get attacked. excellent entry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carson, this blog thing is awesome! :) It cracks me up!

    I think the people at your camp sound like fun. I'm excited for the all of the interesting people you are going to meet who are staying at the camp. The biker dude sounds like fun...you think I can do that next summer?!?!? Maybe just bike across Nebraska, you in?

    And for the record, if I make the 15 Hour drive to your camp, could I camp for free?!?!?

    Happy Trails! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear you are making friends with the Jamaican girl. I hope she doesn't go home and leave you alone.. with no one. That would be very, very sad. Can't wait to hear more! Especially about the bears! Remember: Don't get eaten!!! But if you do, it really will make a sweet story for me to tell my grandchildren... that could have been yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, I am so jealous about all the awesome people you get to meet this summer! I wish I got to meet new people. Well, by the end of the summer I will know every Concordia employee...so that's something, I guess. ;)

    ReplyDelete