Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Carson's Taxi Service

So I think I'm a sucker. The international workers here have found out that if they need to go into town for grocery shopping then I'm the guy to go to. I really don't mind it because I need to go into town pretty often anyways...plus I just see it as me doing my good deed for the day.

I've taken Kim and Katanya several times. I took Natalia last time...remember, she's the girl who sniffed the hotdogs. Then when she asked how much she owed me for gas, but I thought she was asking how much I spent on my car so I told her $5700...she didn't expect my fare to be quite that steep. Well yesterday Gloria, the new girl from Ghana Africa (hey Carly, what does Gloria remind you of.... that crazy guy from Full House maybe?), asked if I could take her into town because she didn't have any food in her room...I didn't want her to starve so I did it.

Every time I take one of these international workers to the super market it usually consumes a good chunk of time because they go up and down every aisle and end up retracing their steps several times because they don't know where anything is.

She asked me where a lot of stuff was and I could help her out for the most part. Then she asked me where she could find "oats." I thought...um, maybe a farm supply store. She also wanted hair oil...when I took Kim she asked for the same thing...must be a black girl thing.

Gloria said she doesn't really like Montana because there are no black people here. I have also found out something else interesting about black girl hair...most of it's usually fake. Seriously. Katanya, Kim, and Gloria all have fake hair extensions. Who would have thought that Montana would be such an international cultural experience for me.

Anyways, I passed the time there by checking out the hilarious greeting cards they sell...they all have wildlife and/or cowboys and/or Indians on them. They are awesome. After browsing the cards I went to find Gloria. I found her crouched down comparing two different items. I walked up and said "What are you looking for, maybe I can help?" I then looked at what she had in her hands and saw she was holding feminine products. I thought "Um, I can see I'm going to be no help here." So I just kept walking.

Gloria had also asked me earlier in the day if I could help her learn how to drive, but after seeing how she steered that shopping cart I'm not going to let her anywhere near the steering wheel of my car! I think she hit two adults and one little girl.

Also, while at the grocery store Gloria met a guy named Fred who she went to school with in Ghana. What the heck? I live two states away and I haven't even met anybody from Nebraska yet and she's come from halfway around the world and meets an old classmate...whatever.

Another fun sidenote...one of the cashiers at the store looks and acts like Rizzo from Grease.

I also took Gloria to an outlet store here so she could buy a sweatshirt and some socks because she doesn't have any...I guess Africa is warmer than Montana.

So I've taken yet another international into town. Gloria offered to make a traditional Ghana dinner for me to repay me...I'll take that. Luda asked me if I could take her to town and today I met the new Chinese girl named Cassie...or maybe Kathy...we couldn't really understand what she said because of her accent. I might as well give her my number right now because I'm sure I'll be driving her somewhere sooner or later.

5 comments:

  1. heheh. glad you know all about black girl hair now... :) Hilarious that she was looking at feminine products... I had this great visual of you still trying to tell her which was best... oooo boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, say hi to Nate for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've discovered your blog recently and have to tell you how much I enjoy reading it. My husband and I worked at West Yellowstone KOA in 2002. Tell Steve & Laurel that Bill and Cathy Bass say hello. Since 2006, we have worked inside Yellowstone at one of campgrounds. This year we are at Grant Campground. Enjoy your summer...you are probably as busy as we are! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carson + feminie products = hilariously awkward. :) I know from experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie Lewis: Clayton! Get me a pack of tampons!!! -haha

    Gloria def reminded me of the old alzheimer man on full house...also it reminded me of choir when Mrs. Murphy made us pronounce it as "CLaudia"...gay, but it made it sound nice and crisp! :)

    Good entry, I LOLed several times! :)

    oats remind me of prancer! :)

    happy trails!

    ReplyDelete