Monday, June 8, 2009

Summer Expectations

Under the advisement of my dear friend Alicia, I've decided to record my expectations for my summer up at Yellowstone. Although this is being posted after my arrival at Yellowstone, these are thoughts I had while back in Nebraska...I promise.

This is what I imagine it will be like:
This is going to be as summer of self-discovery, adventure, fun, and absolutely no cares. This is going to be a chance for me to get away from everything before I begin the next chapter of my life, graduate school. This is a freeing experience for me.

I imagine my cabin will be small, but comfortable. I imagine it has a door that opens up to the south where I will be able to catch an amazing front door view of the rising sun over the mountains every morning. Based on the images I've seen on the KOA website, I think the campground will kind of be in the middle-of-nowhere. I anticipate many trips into West Yellowstone which is only about six miles to the east...they have a McDonalds, Arby's, Subway, Dairy Queen, and KFC so at least I won't starve!

I imagine the camp itself will be pretty nice. It will have fairly modern facilities and an indoor pool/spa. It won the award for best KOA campground a few years back so I'm guessing it can't be too bad.

I think my boss will be friendly and will genuinely care about the well being of the staff. Based on the emails I've received from him he seems like a nice guy. I think the staff size will be relatively small. I hope I meet a cute, sweet girl there. It would be great to return home at the end of the summer with a girlfriend. I predict my roommates will be a little weird, but we'll get along well. In my mind, I will be the coolest one there. I think we'll have lots of free time so we'll probably just hang out in the cabin quite a bit. I expect it to be like the movie "Adventureland" where a group of misfits work together for a summer and have a great time...I can only hope.

I want to take advantage of my close proximity to Yellowstone park itself. I want to see lots of wildlife. I want to see buffalo, elk, bear, and moose. Moose are my favorite animals; I'd really like to see a male moose with a full set of antlers...it might be the wrong season for that though. I also think it would be cool to see a mountain lion and wolf as long as I'm safely within the confines of a car. I also would like to make a point of seeing the geyser Old Faithful erupt at least once a week. Hopefully it's not too far from the campsite. I want to go sight-seeing and hiking on my days off. It would be nice if I made friends so I don't have to do everything alone. I hope I'm not lonely this summer, but whatever happens I'll make the most of it. I can't wait to see what happens!

3 comments:

  1. :) Nice. I can't wait to hear the other end of these expectations...what actually happened. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like fun and I think it will be good for you! :) I hope it is just like the movie ADVENTURELAND!!! hahaha, that'd be awesome. Mostly the part of having a creepy boss. :) Yeah, Steve-o!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, I can only imagine how this summer is going to play out for you. I told my nana about your job. She can already see the KOA you are working at. haha. She also said that you were going to have a great time because people up there just hang out and drink all the time. Awesome. And if you're wondering if I'm excited to see you...I am. Let me know when you're ready for a visit. I'm up for it. and whatever you do...don't feed the animals...EVER.

    ReplyDelete