Monday, June 22, 2009

Working Overtime

As of yesterday, I am currently employed at three different locations in the West Yellowstone area. As you know, I have been working at the West Yellowstone KOA for the last two weeks. Things have been going good and I'm actually scheduled for 41 hours this week (that's one hour of overtime...woot woot). Even though that is full time employment I still felt like I had too much free time. I'm used to the busy college life...I'm used to leaving my room at 8:00 am and returning after 10 pm. So working only 41 hours was leaving me with too much free time.

So, I decided to get an extra part-time job(s) just down the road, about 2 minutes away at the Super 8 Motel and Lionshead RV Resort. The KOA, Super 8, and Lionshead are all owned by the same family so it was really easy for me to get the extra jobs...I didn't even have to fill out an application. Now I am scheduled for 64 hours between the three places...that's more like it. Plus, the pay is pretty good so I'm excited about getting so many hours. I will work for six days and then have Tuesdays off.

Yesterday I worked at the Lionshead resort for the first time. It went really well since it is basically the same thing as the KOA only Lionshead is much smaller. There are fewer campsites and way fewer employees. It's also nice because they use the same computer program as the KOA so I'm practically already trained for everything there. I felt like I actually knew what was going on...within my first few hours there. They had me answering phones within my first few minutes.

The people there were really friendly too. I met my boss, Michael Jackson (unfortunate name, I know); Arlene, a lady from Florida; Bill, a really old/funny maintenance man; Dave; and Roy. It was such a laid back work environment there...it was great. I also helped one of the campers change a tire on his RV. He was a Harley Davidson mechanic so he taught me a few things....like what a tork wrench is. After helping him out he offered me a beer as payment.

Today I started working at the Super 8. Since I'm only working there a few hours a week they aren't going to teach me everything, but I did learn how to make a bed all fancy...like the pros. This skill is going to come in handy when I get back home...my bed will always look like a maid made it now! While there I met: Gloria, a new girl from Ghana Africa (that's where Danny has been the last three weeks!); Francisco; Geraldo; Carlene, and Darlene. It's awesome...in the last 24 hours I've met an Arlene, a Carlene, and a Darlene! It sounds like they could be the names of three characters in an SNL sketch. I did a few other odds and ends jobs there...it was actually pretty enjoyable...good life experience.

So I'm pretty happy about my current employment situation. I'm getting plenty of hours. I like the work...especially working in the Coffee Cabin here at the KOA. I'm learning all the different tricks of preparing coffee. By the end of the summer I should be fully qualified to work at Starbucks. I also like that job because I get tips there...which is always a nice perk. I still have one day off so I can go sightseeing and rest. After all, that is why I am here...to enjoy Yellowstone. I always know that if all this work gets to be too exhausting I can just ask Michael Jackson(hehe) to cut back on my hours at Super 8 and Lionshead.

But wait! There's more exciting news: my friend Nate is coming up here to work for the summer. KOA was a little shorthanded and so I suggested they contact him...they did, he got the job, and now he's on his way up here...as I type this very sentence he's somewhere in Wyoming. It's just going to make this experience all the more enjoyable having someone I know to go sightseeing with. Most of my coworkers have different days off than me so its hard to plan day trips, but if two friends are working here they usually try to give you the same days off. AND I just found out that my boss is going to let Nate and I have our own cabin. So it looks like tomorrow I'm going to be moving my stuff to the vacant cabin right next to my current one. I'll still be close to Jacob, Christian, Natalia, and Luda so we can all still hang out...we're just going to have more space. I'm excited because now I'll have an open space to put my Simpsons puzzle together :)

Later friends!

2 comments:

  1. How fun. :) Say hi to Nate for me and tell him I think he's a jerk for skipping out on visiting me and Dan and Alwin for YOUR sorry ass. ;) JK!

    I can't believe you have a boss named Michael Jackson. That is awesome. Can you please take pictures of these people?!

    I have something in the works to send you via post! You are going to lauuughh!!! :) Love you, hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete