Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Bozeman or Bust


Yesterday on my afternoon off I road-tripped up to Bozeman, Montana to get some supplies. The real reason I went is because Kim and her friend Chanele were completely out of food and needed to do some major shopping. Once again, Carson's Taxi Service was at work, but this time I actually got paid. Kim paid for all my gas there and back and even gave me a few extra bucks for my time.

It turned out to be a really fun day. It's always nice to escape to reality for awhile. One of the highlights happened on the way up to Bozeman: we saw a grizzly bear! It was just walking along the tree line a little ways off the side of the road. I screamed with glee and slammed on the breaks to get a better look while the car behind me slammed on the horn...I'm the kind of tourist the locals here hate.

The drive took a little over an hour and a half to get to Bozeman. It was an amazing hour and a half. Once again, the scenery here was breathtaking. I have come to realize that I thoroughly enjoy exploring new places: new buildings, new towns, new cities, new cultures, new countries. Anyways, when we got there we first went to Ross, a clothing store that Kim LOVES. She has been talking about shopping at Ross all summer! I have never seen her so happy. It was well worth the drive to see her kissing a pair of black high heels that she described as "oh so hot." She then spent over $300 on groceries at Wal-Mart...I spent $20.

I am also excited to read a couple of new books I bought: "Tuesdays with Morrie" and "Marley and Me." Both of them are inspirational bestsellers that could probably be considered tear-jerkers. I wanted to tell the cashier at the bookstore that I wasn't just buying them because I needed a good cry. I was a little bummed though because I asked the associate if they had "Tuesdays with Morrie" and she said, "Yes, it's in the DEATH & DYING section." Gee, I wonder how that book ends.

While eating supper Kim and Chenele told me more about Jamaican culture. I found out that what they actually speak is of English origin, but they talk so fast that it is hard to understand sometimes. It's like listening to someone speak in English only in fast-forward. Jamaican Patois, known locally as Patois (Patwa) or simply Jamaican, is an English–African creole language...pretty interesting.

They taught me some expressions and phrases too. My favorite was "pull up" which is usually shouted at clubs when people want the DJ to repeat a song. For example: if I'm getting my groove on at a Jamaican club and want the DJ to play "Aaron's Party" again I simply scream "PULL UP" and the DJ will play it again. I practiced several times...I'm pretty sure I would definitely fit in at a Jamaican club now....if you just ignore the fact that I have no rhythm.

Okay, I know I'm drilling it in the ground, but the scenery on the way home was awesome. I thought the drive back would be dark and boring. How wrong I was. The canyon was illuminated by the full moon (or at least nearly full moon) that hovered just over the pines on the mountains outline. The moon's glowing reflection could be seen in the rippling river that ran parallel to the road. The stars shone so bright in the dark blue sky and Kim confessed that she had never seen the Big Dipper before. It was all so picture-perfect. It looked like a scene straight from a movie...all that was missing was the wolf howling on the hillside.

Unfortunately, the beauty of my surroundings was interrupted when I had to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting a buck that was standing in the road. I nearly soiled myself. Kim screamed "What the heck is that!" Luckily, I'm a slow driver...and I discovered that it's not too hard to maneuver around a deer when you're only driving 25 mph on the highway. Drive 25: keep wildlife alive! That's my motto.

2 comments:

  1. Uhm. Forget all the comments I was going to write about your post and fast forward to the picture of you with the fake cut out bear. OMG hilarious. :) love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Nate if he needs some more knitting supplies I can bring them up to him. I laughed out loud when I read that and then Parker laughed out loud thinking he must of missed something on Yo Gabba Gabba!!! Also, you shouldn't of bought those books - I have both of them that you could have borrowed. Let me know if you want any others when we come up. I have the sequel to Tuesday's with Morrie and Morrie in his own words if you want to borrow those!! I'm glad that you finally saw a bear!!! Also, you were all over the Braodcaster!!! Congrats!! You are such a picture man-whore!!! See you in about a week!!! Love, Cameo

    ReplyDelete