Thursday, July 16, 2009

They're Here....


So I found out today that the first bear sightings within the campground happened earlier this week. Yep, the bears are officially here. Apparently they have gotten into the dumpster here a couple of times and security had to chase them off. The dumpster they have been meddling in is exactly 62.5 steps away from our cabin's front door. A camper who was staying in a tent was even awoken by the noise the bear was making. I guess the maintenance crew was actually called out to clean up bear "scat" (AKA poop) the other day.

This news is both exciting and a little unnerving. Part of me wants to lure the bear right to my front window by leaving a steak on the sidewalk in front of the cabin. I really want to see one up close...as long as there is something between me and the bear that will keep me safe. The other part of me is terrified to step outside after dark now. I'll just have to be on my toes.

Coincidently, I just booked a tent site for my family to stay in while visiting me...the site is in the exact location the bear walked through. Go figure, the week my family comes is the same week the bears decide to infiltrate the campground. I'm thinking they might have an interesting visit.

3 comments:

  1. Mercy Percy!!! Go figure the week we come, the bears come out!! What the freak, I am bringing a two year old along - who only likes to be outside!!! I told him last night that we might see a bear and he said, "I'll ride him and say EEEEEEEEEEE Haw!!" I'm looking forward to that! I'm sure that is why they comp the campsite, because they know there was a good chance that we were going to be attacked by a bear while there. Just kidding that was very nice of them!!! Can't wait to see you!! LOL (lots of love), Cameo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't do something stupid like leave a steak outside your window. lol. Leave a fish! You know bears like fish. ;) But seriously... unless you have taken me up on some of those bear defense tips, you better just steer clear. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember: as you said, in your own words:

    "68% of bear attacks are surprise attacks...which means you're walking along singing zippiddy-do-da when a bear paw smashes you on the side of the face."

    You've been warned.

    ReplyDelete